Cultural Capital and World Affairs
Date & Time: Friday, October 25th from 7:00 pm to 9:30 pm
Brain Power’s Cultural Capital and World Affairs Workshop is an exciting 2.5-hour workshop designed to help students utilize their knowledge of current events to become more competitive in their academic pursuits and to perform better in essays, interviews, and entrance exams! They will gain a critical understanding of some of the most pressing news issues of our time and learn to connect their academic interests to the world around them.
In our workshop, we have a wonderful time exploring:
- our human geography
- our human evolution and what it means to be a tool-using human (our evolutionary story: fire, language, agriculture, scientific method, and the future of our technological advancements)
- a history of our planet and human story (4.5 billion years ago through to today) – important moments in time! (treasure those timelines!)
- how we read the news with a critical mind
- our political system vs. the US
- UN – what is it and what’s it for?
- analyzing current event stories (our newspaper article hunt!)
- how to write a worldly essay (comparing worldly vs. simplistic thesis statements)
Click images to enlarge