Cultural Capital and World Affairs
SPECIAL NOTE: Our intention is still to offer both in-class and virtual online options for our Fall/Winter programs, so that clients can choose which way they wish to learn. Classes at our McMaster Innovation Park location are only offered in person.
When we do offer in-class options, we will be following strict protocol for the health and safety of our students and staff, and ensuring we not only adhere to government requirements but exceed safety expectations.
More information on our live online distance learning can be found HERE.
Date & Time: 4:30-6:30 pm – October 23, 2021
Brain Power’s Cultural Capital and World Affairs Workshop is an exciting 2.5-hour workshop designed to help students utilize their knowledge of current events to become more competitive in their academic pursuits and to perform better in essays, interviews, and entrance exams! They will gain a critical understanding of some of the most pressing news issues of our time and learn to connect their academic interests to the world around them.
In our workshop, we have a wonderful time exploring:
- our human geography
- our human evolution and what it means to be a tool-using human (our evolutionary story: fire, language, agriculture, scientific method, and the future of our technological advancements)
- a history of our planet and human story (4.5 billion years ago through to today) – important moments in time! (treasure those timelines!)
- how we read the news with a critical mind
- our political system vs. the US
- UN – what is it and what’s it for?
- analyzing current event stories (our newspaper article hunt!)
- how to write a worldly essay (comparing worldly vs. simplistic thesis statements)
Click images to enlarge