Mastering Mental Models
Available Spring 2024!
See schedules at bottom of page.
Attention to all parents who want to prepare their children for admission to elite universities and high-achieving careers that demand exceptional problem-solving skills. Welcome to “Mastering Mental Models: Applying Growth Mindsets for Success” a workshop designed for Grade 7+ students who seek to not only understand but also actively apply the power of mental models to foster a growth mindset.
In this workshop, your child will delve deep into “mental models,” the problem-solving strategies employed by global visionaries, academics, and innovators. More than just discussing the theory theory, we provide students with the practical tools to apply these mental models in their academic pursuits and future careers.
In this two-part workshop, your child will:
- Live the Growth Mindset: Learn to practically apply a growth mindset in all aspects of their lives, transforming challenges into opportunities for success.
- Discover Strategies for Academic Excellence: Uncover techniques that can be applied to excel in their studies.
- Boost Confidence in Tackling Complex Challenges: Develop real-world confidence in solving intricate problems, relevant to careers in fields such as law, medicine, engineering, and technology.
- Excel in Standardized Tests: Acquire skills that extend beyond academia and apply to competitive exams. Aspiring professionals will gain confidence in mastering logical reasoning and critical thinking, whether in law, medicine, engineering, or technology-focused careers.
- Apply Mental Models in Practical Contexts: Learn how to effectively apply mental models for enhanced problem-solving and learning in real-world situations.
Mental Models covered include (but are not limited to):
- First-Principles Thinking: Deconstruct complex problems into their fundamental components, and apply them to your daily life.
- Thought Experiments: Navigate through extreme or unfamiliar challenges with practical exercises.
- Probabilistic Thinking: Enhance decision-making accuracy and apply it to everyday decisions.
- Inversion: Develop the ability to solve problems from a ‘backwards perspective’ in various life situations.
Each workshop session will focus on practical application and include engaging group exercises.
Prepare your child for admission to elite universities and high-achieving careers that value exceptional problem-solving skills. Join us on this transformative journey to success through the mastery of mental models and the application of a growth mindset.
Vanessa Iarocci, Brain Power CEO, earned her Bachelor of Commerce, CPA designation and was selected to complete a post-graduate certificate in innovation at the Stanford Graduate School of Business. Following this, Vanessa spent over two decades in increasingly senior positions at PwC and TD Bank Financial Group. She then honed her entrepreneurial skills as the CEO of a national school apparel company, where she led an innovative turnaround and growth strategy. As an Executive-In-Residence at the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management, Vanessa has developed curricula, case studies and mentorship programs for MBA students, including the world’s first MBA course exploring social innovation. She also recently designed the ‘Scale-Up’ Program for the MaRS Discovery District, a playbook for Canadian CEOs seeking to scale companies globally. Vanessa has also authored multiple thought leadership papers that have been featured in major media outlets, including the Wall Street Journal, Forbes and the Globe and Mail.
MASTERING MENTAL MODELS – Schedule
Classes are held in the given timeframes, excluding scheduled holidays.
1 or 2 two-lesson workshops
April 20 & 27
Sat. 12:15-2:15 pm
Email email@example.com with your child’s/children’s age(s) and area(s) or interests, and we will help get you registered!