Our Vision and Mission
At Brain Power, our vision is to create the ideal learning environment in which high-achieving students can thrive.
Our mission is to provide unique curriculum, world-class teaching, and experiential learning opportunities, all while exceeding current educational standards and promoting a social conscience.
- Cultivate, lead, and inspire world-class thinkers and expert communicators
- Deliver challenging and exciting enrichment curriculum, exceeding Ministry expectations
- Provide brilliant and engaging teaching
- Foster a love of learning
- Fuel students’ curiosity and quest for knowledge
- Help students realize and maximize their potential
- Provide transparency to parents and students
- Provide timely and helpful feedback on students’ work
- Transform education for high-achieving and gifted students
With more than 30 years of success, Brain Power is an innovative leader in after-school enrichment education for bright and gifted students. From our after-school classes and academic field trips, to our series of math and problem solving and grammar workbooks, Brain Power is a transformative model for what gifted education should be about in the GTA.
Brain Power delivers dynamic on-site classroom instruction complemented with online learning. The unique curriculum develops students into proficient problem solvers, creative thinkers, avid readers, solid writers, passionate speakers, and empathetic listeners—ultimately, successful individuals in any educational path they choose! Embedded in a learning community with a well-developed sense of integrity, Brain Power students also use their skills for transformative social-justice projects, improving the quality of not only their lives, but also the lives of others in their communities and the world at large.
Brain Power regularly receives nominations and awards for its from-the-heart impact on the field of enrichment education:
- Royal Bank of Canada’s Women of Influence
- International and National Stevie Awards
- Notable’s Social Entrepreneurship
- Order of Vaughan
- Canada Green Building
- and many more!
Our experienced instructors understand the academic and emotional needs of bright and gifted children. All of our instructors are professionals with graduate degrees – many have Ph.D. degrees – offering students brilliant mentors who are passionate about their subject matter. Of course, Brain Power teachers are not just powerful brains! They also have a playful sense of humour and a child-centred approach to teaching, and their aim is to inspire and nurture a profound love of learning.
What Makes Our Programs Exceptional?
In each of our fields of study at Brain Power, students undertake exciting challenges in areas of interest not normally addressed in their schools or other after-school programs:
- English Language Arts: reading analysis, philosophy, sophisticated vocabulary, classic literature, grammar, social justice, advanced writing skills, and fascinating topics across the humanities.
- Public Speaking: rhetoric, negotiation strategies, presentations, interview skills, body and voice coaching, debate, instant wit and spontaneous (intelligent) humour, speeches, persuasion and the history of oration.
- Math & Problem Solving: problem-solving strategies, mathematics, memory development, managing stress and test anxiety, logic and reasoning, reading comprehension, and creative, critical, lateral thinking.
- Robotics, Coding, & Aerospace: computer programming, aerospace engineering, math, physics, cutting-edge technology, hands-on robotics projects, and innovations in science.
- Entrance Exam Preparation: exam-taking skills, navigating multiple choice, test time management, stress management, interview readiness, study skills, goal attainment, timed essay and creative writing, developing strengths and turning weaknesses into strengths.
Driving all of this is a vision of learning as engaging, responsive, inspirational, current, and personalized, so that each learner can work towards meeting his or her potential and stretch beyond.
See Some of the Exciting Things Happening at Brain Power!
Ana Mocanu Wins Queen’s Commonwealth Competition
Brain Power student Ana Stefania Mocanu (pictured left) recently won a Bronze Medal for her essay in The Queen’s Commonwealth Essay Competition, an international essay writing competition for youth aged 18 and under! In 2018, there were 12,000 entries from across...
David Firer Wins Governor General’s Medal
We are very proud of our alumnus of the month, David Firer (pictured left), who was awarded the Governor General’s Academic Medal for 2017-2018. “The Bronze Medal is awarded for academic excellence to the student who achieves...
Ally Zhao’s Arctic Expedition
In late spring, we announced that Brain Power student Ally Zhao was selected as 1 of only 120 high school students to take part in the prestigious Arctic Expedition 2018. In addition to this remarkable achievement, Ally also won...