To see more videos of our awesome public speakers, scroll down to the bottom of this page!
SPECIAL NOTE: Our intention is still to offer both in-class and virtual online options for our Fall/Winter programs at our Vaughan location, so that clients can choose which way they wish to learn. However, classes at our McMaster Innovation Park location are only offered in person.
When we do offer in-class options, we will be following strict protocol for the health and safety of our students and staff, and ensuring we not only adhere to government requirements but exceed safety expectations.
More information on our live online distance learning can be found HERE.
Registration for Fall/Winter 2020-21 is on now!
We offer 34-lesson courses at the 6-8 and 9+ levels during the regular school year (September to June).
We also offer 4-lesson workshops in the 4-5, 6-8, and 9+ levels in the Winter and the Summer sessions.
(Click below for information on Summer 2021 and Winter 2021 & 2022 workshops.)
Our Public Speaking programs for Grades 6-8 and 9+ are a response to students’ need for mastering the techniques of public speaking and persuasion, in both oral and written formats.
The course has a strong emphasis on the elements of oral presentation (e.g. tone of voice, body language, playing to an audience, rhetorical strategies, etc.), and it provides opportunities for students to apply and practice what they learn.
Depending on the level of their studies, students will engage in classical debate, study logical reasoning and fallacies, be inspired by critical analyses of famous historical speeches, media, and politics, and prepare for both post-secondary education and myriad careers which require excellent people-skills.
This course will provide you with the skills to:
- Develop your resume and prepare for your future career
- Position yourself for University and Ivy League school acceptance
- Work towards obtaining awards and accolades
- Become a global citizen by (optional) competing in tournaments locally, nationally, and around the world
Depending on the level of your studies, you will have the opportunity to learn about:
- Presentation skills and public speaking
- Interview skills mastery
- Logic and the art of argument
- Negotiation strategies
- Famous speeches and historical analysis
- Classical and contemporary debate – history, philosophy, and practical applications
- Journalism, news, radio/broadcasting and media studies
- Rhetoric, logic and logical fallacies, discourse analysis and linguistics
- Language and the law
- Language and politics
- Speechwriting, Figures of Speech, and Voice Coaching
- Laws of Persuasive Power
- Philosophies of Great Thinkers
- Ethics and Social Justice – being persuasive and changing the world!
- Attend formal public city debates
- Participate in local debate and public speaking competitions
- Professionally record student-written speeches at a recording studio (professional voice coaching included)
- Take part in CBC audience debates and radio shows (e.g. The Debaters, Stuart McLean)
Classes will be held once a week for two hours.
Each year several Brain Power Public Speaking students make it to the finals and semi-finals of Speakers Idol, a speech contest that provides a platform for students to discuss how they are working to change the world. Since 2016, Brain Power students have attended and placed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in Ontario! We are so proud of our students!
For more about our students’ success at the 2020 competition, watch the video below!
Several Brain Power Public Speaking students have been honoured to compete and win in Speaker Slam,™ Canada’s largest Inspirational Speaking Competition -where the skill of public speaking meets the thrill of competition.
This “Inspirational Speaking Competition” features 10 competitors going head to head and heart to heart, to deliver 4-6 minute speeches based on a monthly theme with a chance of winning cash and prizes valued up to $5000. Winners have gone on to get paid speaking work, TEDx talks and online notoriety.
A LETTER FROM ONE OF OUR PUBLIC SPEAKING STUDENTS
I can’t believe I was invited by the Friends of the Simon Wiesenthal Center (FSWC) to speak at their exclusive State of the Union dinner thanks to my big win (with your support) at Speakers Idol earlier this year! I edited the speech that you helped me with slightly before going tonight. (I did this to be more relevant to recent events and to have a more mature tone). I am happy to announce that my speech was met with a standing ovation. I wanted to thank you once again for having me in your incredible Public Speaking course, encouraging me to participate in Speakers Idol, and helping me refine my speech for every occasion. Without you none of this would have happened and I just wanted to express my gratitude. My public speaking skills are at a whole new level now thanks to you and Brain Power!