Public Speaking Academy
Registration for Fall/Winter 2023-24 is on now!
We offer 34-lesson courses at the 4-5, 6-8, and 9+ levels during the regular school year (September to June).
We also offer 4-lesson workshops in the 4-5, 6-8, and 9+ levels in the Winter and Summer sessions.
Welcome to Brain Power’s Public Speaking Academy!
Our Public Speaking programs guide bright and high-achieving students toward reaching their full potential as speakers, rhetoricians and persuaders.
By the end of the program, students will have learned Brain Power’s time-tested techniques for delivering clear, engaging, and memorable speeches, presentations and persuasive communications. The skills that students gain from this course help them to build the confidence they need to reach their goals, academic and otherwise, and thus to grow into leading thinkers and communicators.
Brain Power’s Public Speaking programs are founded on six core principles:
- Effective communication is informed by scientific evidence and follows a systematic methodology.
- A speaker or communicator can only become excellent through training and practice.
- Communication and persuasive skills depend on strong critical thinking.
- A public speaker can only reach their potential by finding their own voice.
- Skilled public speakers do not follow a prescriptive set of rules. Instead, they choose tools from their public speaking toolbox to suit the situation.
- Speakers trained to use the power of persuasion have an obligation to do so responsibly rather than using it to manipulate others.
We draw on lessons from:
- Classical philosophy (Classical and neoclassical rhetorical theory)
- Behaviour Economics
- Attend formal public city debates
- Participate in debate and public speaking competitions
- Professionally record a podcast (professional voice coaching included)
- Take part in a variety of unique field trips and optional skill-building workshops (i.e. interviews)
Classes will be held once a week for two hours.
Each year several Brain Power Public Speaking students make it to the finals and semi-finals of Speakers Idol, a speech contest that provides a platform for students to discuss how they are working to change the world. Since 2016, Brain Power students have attended and placed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in Ontario! We are so proud of our students!
For more about our students’ success at the 2020 competition, watch the video below!
Several Brain Power Public Speaking students have been honoured to compete and win in Speaker Slam,™ Canada’s largest Inspirational Speaking Competition -where the skill of public speaking meets the thrill of competition.
This “Inspirational Speaking Competition” features 10 competitors going head to head and heart to heart, to deliver 4-6 minute speeches based on a monthly theme with a chance of winning cash and prizes valued up to $5000. Winners have gone on to get paid speaking work, TEDx talks and online notoriety.
A LETTER FROM ONE OF OUR PUBLIC SPEAKING STUDENTS
I can’t believe I was invited by the Friends of the Simon Wiesenthal Center (FSWC) to speak at their exclusive State of the Union dinner thanks to my big win (with your support) at Speakers Idol earlier this year! I edited the speech that you helped me with slightly before going tonight. (I did this to be more relevant to recent events and to have a more mature tone). I am happy to announce that my speech was met with a standing ovation. I wanted to thank you once again for having me in your incredible Public Speaking course, encouraging me to participate in Speakers Idol, and helping me refine my speech for every occasion. Without you none of this would have happened and I just wanted to express my gratitude. My public speaking skills are at a whole new level now thanks to you and Brain Power!