Elementary 1 - English Language Arts
SPECIAL NOTE: Our intention is still to offer both in-class and virtual online options for our Fall/Winter programs, so that clients can choose which way they wish to learn.
When we do offer in-class options, we will be following strict protocol for the health and safety of our students and staff, and ensuring we not only adhere to government requirements but exceed safety expectations.
More information on our live online distance learning can be found HERE.
Information on refer-a-friend discounts and virtual discounts is available HERE.
Brain Power’s Elementary 1 course is designed to enable students to:
- Write clear and coherent sentences and paragraphs
- Grasp the essentials of essay structure
- Improve reading comprehension
- Engage in discussion and debate
- Develop critical-thinking skills
- Improve their elementary-school grades
Elementary 1 focuses on the four key components of all our English Language Arts courses:
- Building sophisticated vocabularies
- Improving grammar skills
- Improving reading comprehension and critical/analytical skills
- Improving critical/analytical writing skills
In short, Elementary 1 will prepare students to excel in their elementary-school classes across a range of subject areas.
Each class in the Elementary 1 year is designed to introduce them to essential literary terms and critical concepts, including:
- Metaphor and Simile
Key terms and concepts are returned to several times over the course of the year, in the context of different readings and assignments, ensuring not only that students retain what they have learned but that they can apply that knowledge in different contexts.
Students will be evaluated on:
- Vocabulary homework
- Vocabulary quizzes
- Weekly in-class grammar exercises
- Weekly writing assignments
- Novel study
- Essay assignments
- Mid-term and final vocabulary exams
- Final exam