Senior 2 - English Language Arts
SPECIAL NOTE: Our intention is still to offer both in-class and virtual online options for our Fall/Winter programs, so that clients can choose which way they wish to learn.
When we do offer in-class options, we will be following strict protocol for the health and safety of our students and staff, and ensuring we not only adhere to government requirements but exceed safety expectations.
More information on our live online distance learning can be found HERE.
Brain Power’s Senior 2 course is designed to teach the critical-thinking, reading, and writing skills necessary to enable students to:
- Produce outstanding high-school-level essays
- Engage in advanced intellectual discussion and debate
- Understand the major disciplinary differences and expectations of university-level studies
- Think across paradigms and approach intellectual questions in an interdisciplinary manner
- Improve their high-school grades
Senior 2 focuses on the four key components of all our English Language Arts courses:
- Building sophisticated vocabularies
- Improving grammar skills
- Improving reading comprehension and critical/analytical skills
- Improving critical/analytical writing skills
In short, Senior 2 will prepare students to excel in secondary school classroom discussions and written assignments across a range of subject areas.
The Senior 2 year is separated into sections or disciplinary blocks, each of which contains a literary and essay-writing component. These blocks will focus on the following topics:
- Psychology – Narrative Essays
- Sociology – Descriptive and Comparative Essays
- Philosophy and Science – Persuasive Essays
- Poetry and Literature – Literary Analysis and Argumentation
- World Issues and Culture – Analytical Essays
After each disciplinary block is complete, the information learned will be applied to the subsequent one. This cumulative structure will ensure that students begin to read, think and write in an interdisciplinary manner.
Students will be evaluated on:
- Vocabulary homework
- Vocabulary quizzes
- Weekly in-class grammar exercises
- Weekly writing assignments
- Novel study
- Essay assignments
- Mid-term and final vocabulary exams
- Final exam