Primary 1 - English Language Arts
SPECIAL NOTE: Our intention is still to offer both in-class and virtual online options for our Fall/Winter programs, so that clients can choose which way they wish to learn.
When we do offer in-class options, we will be following strict protocol for the health and safety of our students and staff, and ensuring we not only adhere to government requirements but exceed safety expectations.
More information on our live online distance learning can be found HERE.
Brain Power’s Primary 1 course is designed to enable students to:
- Improve reading fluency and accuracy using research-based practices
- Achieve the goal of reading for understanding, learning, and interest
- Increase phonological awareness
- Acquire phonemic awareness necessary for spelling and word recognition skills
- Develop the ability to decode and encode words
- Learn the spelling of over 120 high-frequency words
- Develop metacognitive skills that proficient readers and writers use
- Write full, clear, and coherent sentences
Primary focuses on the four key components of all our English Language Arts courses:
- Improving reading fluency, accuracy, comprehension and critical/analytical skills
- Building sophisticated vocabulary
- Improving grammar skills and spelling
- Developing metacognitive skills
In short, Primary 1 will prepare students to excel in their elementary-school classes across a range of subject areas.
Each class in the Primary 1 year is designed to introduce students to essential reading, speaking, and writing skills, including:
- Writing full sentences
- Writing opinion pieces
- Creative writing
- Reading for meaning
- Editing and revising
- Extracting important information from given texts
Key terms and concepts are returned to several times over the course of the year, in the context of different readings and assignments, ensuring not only that students retain what they have learned but that they can apply that knowledge in different contexts.
The students will be evaluated on:
- Vocabulary homework
- Vocabulary quizzes
- Weekly in-class grammar exercises
- Weekly writing assignments