Available Spring 2023 and Fall 2023!
See schedules at bottom of page.
Pre-University-Preparation Workshop (Gr. 10-11)
Interested? Email us for more information!
Our Pre-University-Preparation workshop is a two-lesson tailored program designed to get students in Grades 10 and 11 thinking about their future careers and the different university programs that can help them to reach those career goals. In advance of the workshop, all registered students will fill out a questionnaire, which the instructor will use to shape the program to reflect the students’ needs. After reviewing the questionnaires, the instructor will reach out to each enrolled student for a pre-workshop Zoom discussion about their educational and career goals. This workshop can be followed with University Preparation.
NOTE: Participating in this workshop will give you 10% off our our University Preparation workshop for Grade 12 students (see below).
- Exploring career options and choosing what is right for you (or keeping doors open)
- Considering potential majors and programs to help get you there
- Researching and getting to know Canadian, American, British (and other) universities
- Becoming familiar with professional programs (e.g. engineering, pharmacy, medicine, law, etc.)
- Narrowing down your post-secondary options based on your interests and goals
- Learning what you need to accomplish before before Grade 12
- Discovering what the university application process will look when you reach Grade 12
- Finding out what universities want to see on an application (and reviewing successful models)
- Understanding the financial realities of a university education (loans, scholarships, work study, co-op)
- Continuing our discussion of career paths and programs (see Lesson 1)
- Discovering strategies for keeping a high GPA through Grade 12
- Developing good time management, stress reduction, and peer study habits
- Learning how to network and make connections
- Crafting an impressive resume/CV and LinkedIn profile
- Understanding interviews: what to expect, how to prepare, how to succeed
- Reviewing student plans (assigned in the prior lesson)
- Finding out what to expect when you take University Preparation with us!
University Preparation Workshop (Gr. 12)
Interested for Fall 2023? Email us, and we will send you more information soon!
We have tailored our University Preparation workshop to address the issues of most interest to university-bound students: choosing a university, finding and applying for scholarships (and other funding), writing special application essays, presenting oneself well in interviews and recorded applications, and some of the most common concerns about first year (e.g. time management, dealing with professors and teaching assistants, living in residence).
Our recent students have received multiple admissions offers to programs in the Arts and Fine Arts and the Sciences and Applied Sciences—including Biology, Biomedical Science, Health Science, Kinesiology, Life Science, Computer Science, and Engineering—from prestigious universities cross Canada and the US:
- University of Toronto
- Queen’s University
- Waterloo University
- McGill University
- University of Guelph
- Western University
- McMaster University
- University of Michigan
- University of Ottawa
- York University
- University of British Columbia
- Wilfrid Laurier University
- University of Windsor
- Carleton University
- Ryerson University
UNIVERSITY PREPARATION – Schedule
Classes are held in the given timeframes, excluding scheduled holidays.
Fri. May 12 & 26: 5:00-7:15 pm (Vaughan)
Fri., Sept. 22 & 29: 6:30-8:45 pm (Vaughan)
University Preparation Workshop
* 4 lessons (Vaughan)
Sun., Oct. 1: 4:30-6:30 pm
Sun., Oct. 15: 4:30-6:30 pm
Sun., Oct. 22: 4:30-6:30 pm
Sat., Oct. 27: 6:30-8:30 pm
* 4 lessons (Virtual)
Mon., Sept. 18: 7:15-9:15 pm
Mon., Oct. 2: 7:15-9:15 pm
Mon., Oct. 16: 7:15-9:15 pm
Mon., Oct. 23: 7:15-9:15 pm
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your child’s/children’s age(s) and area(s) or interests, and we will help get you registered!
Our students have also won substantial scholarships ranging from $1,500 to $40,000!
“The Uni Prep course at Brain Power was extremely useful as it gave insight into strategies for supplemental essays, tips for interviews, scholarship attainment, as well as advice for success in first year in university. I think many students go into university applications with a confused mindset and oftentimes they fall into the trap of clichéd writing. The program at Brain Power, however, makes sure to keep students on the right track; it has a very practical structure and there are many examples and many chances to practice with interview questions. The teachers were also super available to answer any questions outside of class hours all year long! I truly believe the program changed my perspective on applications! I highly recommend it! And… I got into my programs of choice – even the Bioengineering program at the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science at UCLA! I am beyond ecstatic!” —Amy Li, Class of 2021