Summer Language Arts
Grades 1-2* – 1x per week – July and/or Aug. – Fri. 5:00-7:00
Grades 3-4* – 2x per week – July and/or Aug. – Tue. & Thu. 5:00-7:00
Grades 5-6* – 2x per week – July and/or Aug. – Mon. & Wed. 5:00-7:00 OR Tue. & Thu. 5:00-7:00
* For students entering these grades in September 2020.
Our summer Language Arts teach students how to communicate clearly and concisely in both speech and writing. We achieve this by focusing on three core components:
- Vocabulary building
- Reading comprehension and analysis
- Critical writing
Each week students:
- Are introduced to a series of valuable new words that they learn to use in context
- Read and discuss exciting and challenging pieces of literature, both classic and contemporary, including short stories, essays, and poems.
- Are drilled in the fundamentals of writing, from how to write a series of strong sentences to a series of well-structured paragraphs.
Students receive writing assignments on a weekly basis, and the importance of understanding writing as a process is pressed upon them. Weekly writing assignments are edited and returned for revision with a second (and sometimes third) draft required.