Summer Math Olympiad Prep
Grades 5-7* – 2x per week – July OR August – Tue. & Thu. 7:15-9:15
* For students entering these grades in September 2020.
Are you curious? Do you love solving math puzzles? Do you enjoy learning interesting real-life math facts and applications? Do you want to become famous in your school/province/country by winning math Olympiads and competitions? If so, Brain Power’s Math Olympiad Course is the place to train your brain!
In this exciting and challenging class, students will engage with many fascinating and fun math, logic, and problem solving activities, including, but not limited to:
- Learning winning strategies for math games and math competitions (national and international!)
- “Traveling” to the island of knights and knaves where truth-telling logic is the challenge
- Solving fascinating math puzzles and logic problems, including those requiring a chess board
- Exploring from the fields of computer science and information technology
In the process you will learn about many important mathematical principles and concepts, including, but not limited to:
- Invariants and double counting
- Pigeonhole principle
- Knights and Knaves problems
- Divisibility, remainders, and Euclid’s algorithm
- Method of distinguished element
- Tiling techniques
…and of course, students will gain new problem-solving skills they can use in both mathematical contests and in real life.