Math Olympiad - Fundamentals
Grades 4-6: 1x per week – Mar. 19, 26, Apr. 2, 9 – 2022 (McMaster Innovation Park)
Are you curious? Do you love solving math puzzles? Do you enjoy learning interesting real-life math facts and applications? Do you want to become famous in your school/province/country by winning math Olympiads and competitions? If so, Brain Power’s Math Contest and Olympiad Preparation course is the place to train your brain! This course is taught by a world-class mathematician and contest winner and judge!
In this exciting and challenging class, students will engage with many fascinating and fun math, logic, and problem solving activities, including, but not limited to:
- Learning winning strategies for math games and math competitions (national and international!)
- Solving fascinating math puzzles and logic problems, including those requiring a chess board
- Exploring from the fields of computer science and information technology
In the process you will learn about many important mathematical principles and concepts, including, but not limited to:
- Invariants and double counting
- Pigeonhole principle
- Divisibility, remainders, and Euclid’s algorithm
- Method of distinguished element
- Tiling techniques
…and of course, students will gain new problem-solving skills they can use in both mathematical contests and in real life.
Dr. Alex Maizlish (Ph.D. University of Manitoba) teaches this course. Alex joined the math Olympiad movement at an early age. He has won several prizes at the national mathematical Olympiads in Ukraine, participated as a jury member in the International Mathematics Tournament of Towns, and, in Canada, coached high school and undergraduate students for various math contests such as the Canadian Mathematical Olympiad, NCS/MAA, Putnam competition, and others.