Primary - English Language Arts
Brain Power’s Primary course is designed to enable students to:
- Improve reading fluency and accuracy using research-based practices
- Achieve the goal of reading for understanding, learning, and interest
- Increase phonological awareness
- Acquire phonemic awareness necessary for spelling and word recognition skills
- Develop the ability to decode and encode words
- Learn the spelling of over 120 high-frequency words
- Develop metacognitive skills that proficient readers and writers use
- Write full, clear, and coherent sentences
Primary focuses on the four key components of all our English Language Arts courses:
- Improving reading fluency, accuracy, comprehension and critical/analytical skills
- Building sophisticated vocabulary
- Improving grammar skills and spelling
- Developing metacognitive skills
In short, Primary will prepare students to excel in their elementary-school classes across a range of subject areas.
Each class in the Primary year is designed to introduce students to essential reading, speaking, and writing skills, including:
- Writing full sentences
- Writing opinion pieces
- Creative writing
- Reading for meaning
- Editing and revising
- Extracting important information from given texts
Key terms and concepts are returned to several times over the course of the year, in the context of different readings and assignments, ensuring not only that students retain what they have learned but that they can apply that knowledge in different contexts.
During 35 weeks, there will be a 2 hour class each week.
The students will be evaluated on:
- Vocabulary homework (12 weeks)
- Vocabulary quizzes (12 weeks)
- Weekly in-class grammar exercises
- Weekly writing assignments
Report cards will be distributed at the end of the year.